A high fiber, vegan, and vegetarian alternative to bolognese. Serve with brown pasta and a side of salad for a balanced meal. NOTE: Use 2 x 14 oz cans of lentils, rinsed and drained to obtain a total of roughly 2.5 cups of lentils. Store leftover bolognese in the freezer for a quick and easy meal.
1. Finely dice the onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Finely slice the mushrooms.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish, over medium heat. Fry the onion until lightly coloured.
3. Add the celery, carrot, and oregano, and fry until they soften and turn translucent.
4. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Allow the mushrooms to cook a little, and add the lentils, tomatoes, and half of the basil. Bring it to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Season to taste.
6. Serve the bolognese with the cooked wholemeal pasta. Garnish with the remaining chopped basil leaves and sprinkle with cheese of your choice.
288 calories in 1 serving of Lentil Bolognese.
23% fat, 57% carbs, 20% protein.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Values*
Calorie Counter 100% Free
Related Recipe Collections
Mushroom & Spinach Stir Fry
Just a simple mushroom stir fry that goes well with rice or just by itself.
Per serve - Energy: 244kcal | Carb: 10.72g | Prot: 6.59g | Fat: 20.93g
Mexican Lentil Soup
A healthy soup with a Mexican flavor.
Per serve - Energy: 88kcal | Carb: 16.17g | Prot: 4.62g | Fat: 1.80g
Warm and delicious vegetable soup. Ideal for weight loss.
Per serve - Energy: 72kcal | Carb: 9.50g | Prot: 3.53g | Fat: 2.75g
Spinach & Lentil Soup
Homemade high fiber, super healthy lentil and spinach soup.
Per serve - Energy: 162kcal | Carb: 23.89g | Prot: 8.72g | Fat: 4.02g
Thai Noodle Soup
Fast and easy, sweet and sour and totally nutritious.
Per serve - Energy: 217kcal | Carb: 33.92g | Prot: 6.68g | Fat: 7.27g
Easy to make, low-fat chili.
Per serve - Energy: 302kcal | Carb: 31.51g | Prot: 21.53g | Fat: 10.29g