Quinoa and Black Beans
A high protein vegetarian dish, good hot or cold, especially the next day.
1. Rinse quinoa very well to remove bitter coating. Drain and rinse can of black beans. Chop onion, garlic and peppers.
2. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic and peppers. Sauté until lightly browned.
3. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth.
4. Season with cumin, curry powder and red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Stir diced tomatoes and black beans into saucepan and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
6. Optional: Add 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro at end.
7. Variations: Use 2 cans black beans; use 1 cup frozen corn kernels instead of sweet red peppers; vary seasonings to your taste.
108 calories in 1 serving of Quinoa and Black Beans.
12% fat, 70% carbs, 18% protein.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Values*
Calorie Counter 100% Free
Related Recipe Collections
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Recipe inspired by 'Homemade in the Kitchen'.
Per serve - Energy: 388kcal | Carb: 53.59g | Prot: 13.66g | Fat: 14.68g
Mini Egg Bake
This recipe makes for a quick snack, breakfast or even a lunch served with a side of salad. Store leftovers in the freezer for a quick meal or snack.
Per serve - Energy: 223kcal | Carb: 8.20g | Prot: 13.20g | Fat: 15.64g
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Tasty, low-calorie dish for lunch.
Per serve - Energy: 229kcal | Carb: 30.01g | Prot: 12.25g | Fat: 8.42g
Spicy dish with low calories.
Per serve - Energy: 100kcal | Carb: 16.30g | Prot: 6.03g | Fat: 1.56g
Basmati Rice with Beef
Low-sugar dish, inspired by Indian cuisine.
Per serve - Energy: 328kcal | Carb: 42.20g | Prot: 22.34g | Fat: 6.49g
A weekly staple which you can serve with rice and salad, in a quesadilla, or on a baked potato with cheese. Divide up any leftover portions to keep in the freezer for a last minute meal. NOTE: 1 x 16 oz of tinned beans = 8.4 oz of drained beans. Use dried textured vegetable protein (TVP) or any other vegetarian mince.
Per serve - Energy: 446kcal | Carb: 69.77g | Prot: 27.25g | Fat: 9.13g